Clapping

 Put your hands together and give credit where credit is due. We are grateful when our children come home with a good report card. There is excitement when your children lose a tooth and the fairy used to leave 25cents, now it is $1.00. When a two year old decides to use a potty chair without be coaxed with a popsicle we are thrilled. We might try clapping when they use a spoon, or put on their own pajamas.

So many ways we can glorify the actions of the child without threats of punishment. Jump up and down when they walk into the room after picking up their toys. Playing with other children without pinching, slapping or spitting on them, even for 30 minutes deserves a reward. Food does not have to be reward, because the next time they will expect food again. Getting an allowance for making your bed for a week will lead to more unmade beds.

If you clap you are stimulated to show praise. Nan never went one day without saying something nice to her children. They were all simple statements like:

Your hair looks great today. I like your smile. You did a great job walking the dog, Thank you for picking up your sister when she fell. You are so smart. You give me goosebumps I love you so much. You make me happy just being in the room with me. Thank you for sweeping the floor. You are special to me. Every day is sunny when I am with you. You are good at sharing with your brother. Thank you for singing to your sister. You are important to me. 

These are just a few things from my past I treasure sharing with my mother in a quiet time. They were all free. She did not say them every day. With all of the children running through the house all of the time a moment with my mother was priceless.

Sometimes I notice in our current culture there has to be gratification when a child does something special. It usually involves a gift of some sort. A treat, a new game, a book, a doll, a baseball glove, money, extra ice cream or something symbolic that they can touch.

You can not touch praise. It often flows unexpectedly and with a genuine tone of voice. It is FREE.

The Best Part of your DAY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overload

Gifts

Travel